Sunday, April 24, 2011

Somewhere Over the Rainbow...

On Good Friday evening, a tornado ripped through the Saint Louis, Missouri, metropolitan area.

The tornado touched down about 5 miles east of my home in St. Charles City, Missouri.

The worst damage near the St. Louis Lambert Airport, Bridgeton, and Maryland Heights are in the Pattonville School District - one of the districts I serve as a music therapist. There was also extensive damage in the Ritenour School District by the Airport - also a district I serve.

This E-F 4 tornado (when it was the strongest) moved straight through north St. Louis County.

After I knew I was safe (I freaked out a little during the storm, hiding in my laundry room - and for a good reason!), I was extremely concerned for the families I serve. There was a moment when I considered the fact that I may be pushing the therapeutic/educational/professional boundaries with the families I serve if I checked on them. However, that moment was short lived. This was a serious disaster, and I quickly emailed all my families in the PSD. I was truly concerned, and I was ready to help these families if needed. Luckily, everyone stated they were okay.

What do you think? Where do you draw the line with professional boundaries in the school setting? I feel like this was an extreme situation...

My immediate family in St. Louis had extended family call from as far away as Florida and California to check on us after seeing the national new coverage on the storm. The pictures on the news are one thing, but I drove by the airport today and some of the most damaged areas...there are no words. It is horrific.

To support those effected by this severe weather event, please donate to:
Please pray for everyone in the St. Louis Area, and never ignore a tornado warning.

I took this video today (Easter Sunday). I started taping on my iPhone3 when I got on I-70 at my exit right by my home. This demonstrates how close I was to the tornado. I start in St. Charles City. I cross the Blanchette Bridge over the Missouri River into St. Louis County. At that point, I am in Maryland Heights, MO. You can begin to see damage at about 4:30 in the video. On the right hand side of the highway, there is the Bridgeton, MO damage. On the left side of the highway, there is the airport. The video isn't so great because it was cloudy and I was going 60 mph, but it gives you some idea.


No comments: