Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Disability and Assumptions

Tonight, one of my former music therapists in training posted this video on my facebook page:


She seemed very surprised by the miraculousness of this video.

I was not surprised.

Does that shock you? Watch the video. Go ahead, I'll wait ...

It depicts the story of a young woman diagnosed with Autism who is non-verbal, yet can type and communicate via a laptop like most tween/teen girls. Did you know that many individuals with Autism have normal intelligence? Did you know that Autism is not an intellectual disability?

Do you know what shocks me? I'm appalled at the number of times I witness people talking about people with disabilities. While they are standing right there. Within listening distance. Individuals diagnosed with a disability can hear you (or lip read). And, even if they are diagnosed with Autism, it doesn't mean they can't understand you, have their feelings hurt, or have their relationship with you broken by the way you talk about them. They are not invisible.

I try to not make assumptions about my clientele. Everyone (including myself) has strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes... That's how I look at my clients. A great person with strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes...just like me. And, just like me, some people have bad days! I cannot imagine how I would react if I couldn't communicate my wants, needs, or deepest desires.

How would you feel, react, behave if...
  • You could not say "I love you" to your family and friends.
  • You could not indicate that you absolutely loathe the ugly sweater your Mom insists you wear every day.
  • You could not raise your hand in class to get a bathroom pass.
  • Your classmates and peers were scared of you because you scream in class.
  • What if...
Please take time this week to reflect on your own assumptions about others. How is affecting your relationships? Rapport? Professional judgement? Please be brave and stand up for individuals with disabilities. Ask that professional conversations be done in a confidential setting. If talking about a client's deficits to another, either include the client or move to a confidential location. Stand up. Be brave. Shine.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Sorry for the ginormously wide video!

Roia said...

I am in total agreement with you, Mary. I was appalled and horrified when I was in graduate school (and this was in 2000, so it wasn't as if it was in the darned dark ages) when the head of the creative arts therapy department referred to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities as "retardates"! What?! I spoke with him about it, and he still didn't get it. Gah!

I often remind people that we don't know what someone knows unless they can tell us. And, quite frankly, a lot of people who don't have disability labels tell me they know what I'm talking about and they clearly don't.

It is truly frustrating that prejudice against people with disabilities is still something that often goes unquestioned. Thanks for your thoughtful post!